If the sun is above your head and you have warm weather, you won’t leave your house without wearing a straw hat. And one of the best hats to count on today is the straw cowboy hat. If you are taking a tropical vacation at the beach, it is one of the essential accessories to count on. It’s both functional and fashionable. Furthermore, these cowboy hats come in multiple colors, and you can choose the one you like best.
However, here’s one thing you need to keep in mind. Even if you wear the best and stylish straw cowboy hats, sooner or later, it is going to get slightly dirty. Hence, it becomes essential to clean up your hat. And in this article, we will discuss a detailed guide that will enable you to know how to clean your hat and make it appear new for a long time.
The various kinds of straw
You shouldn’t go ahead with the straw-hat cleaning process directly. It’s essential to understand the straw type that you have at hand. Not every straw-cowboy hat gets made in the same way. Cowboy hats are made of raffia, shantung, Toyo and raffia straw, and seagrass and hemp. The list is endless. And each straw type comes with its water resistance and durability level. Hence, it would help if you modified your hat care accordingly.
Does your straw cowboy hat lack a label? If yes, you need to focus on the weave tightness. If the hat comprises a loose weave, then it is not very strong. And just because a hat is costly, you shouldn’t douse it with water as it might not withstand the same. Hence, it’s crucial to do the homework before you get into cleaning your straw cowboy hat.
Removing the stains from a straw cowboy hat
- Try and clean the hat dry before you use any liquid cleaner. You can also use a small amount of cornstarch or talcum powder on the hat stain. The powder can soak up the stain if you allow it a couple of hours. After this, you can wipe the powder away.
- You should wipe any kind of sweat stains, make-up, body oils, lotion, and other blotches using a damp, clean white cloth soaked in a small amount of dish soap. Get this done the moment you see the stain, as that way the stain won’t become permanent.
- Do you want to take away sweatband stains? If yes, you should use a stronger cleaning solution than the soapy wet cloth. Get a mixture of warm water and hydrogen peroxide in equal quantity, use a soft-bristled brush, and dip in the solution to clean the small surface.
- You can swipe and dab the sweatband surfaces that you cleaned with a hand towel and white cloth softened with plain water.
- Keep the hat away from direct sunlight and allow it to air dry.
- If there are hat scuffs, you can opt-in for a gum eraser and rub it gently. It’s easy to find this tool. You can search for the same at any online shop or the local art supply store.
Handwash the straw cowboy hat
- Before you begin cleaning, make sure to take away any ribbons, decorations, appliques, and trim. And if you can’t remove the hatband or any other embellishment, take care and don’t damage the same while washing.
- You can opt-in for spot cleaning. Here, you can resort to a white cloth soaked in water and soap to wipe away the surface’s stains and dirt.
- You can develop a cleaning mixture by using warm water and hydrogen peroxide. Make sure to dip a cloth piece in this solution and rub it in round moves on the small hat surface with dirt and stain. It would help if you did this till the time the hat is stain-free.
- If the straw hat appears grimy after the cleaning and its label mentions waterproof, keep it submerged in warm water for a while. Add a small amount of dish soap to it. Additionally, you can opt-in for a soft-bristled brush for scrubbing any blemishes gently. Make sure you scrub gently in round motions so that the weave doesn’t get hurt.
- You can rinse your straw cowboy hat by keeping it under running warm water. You can also blot the straw hat gently with a white towel and take away the excess water.
- Always make sure to keep the hat in a space that is far from high heat. Make sure you let it dry in the air. And just in case the brim gets curved, you should lay it on any flat surface as that might hurt the hat shape.
When you clean your straw cowboy hat, you can keep it free from dust and stains. It will ensure that you look and feels like new for a long time. And when you can sport one hat instead of buying many, it adds to your savings.