DICGC settles claims value Rs 8,516.6 crore in FY22



Deposit Insurance coverage and Credit score Assure Company settled claims amounting to Rs 8,516.6 crore throughout 2021-22 of about 12.94 lakh depositors of liquidated banks, merged entities and people positioned beneath restrictions by the Reserve Financial institution.

All business banks, together with branches of overseas banks functioning in India, native space banks, regional rural banks, small finance banks and cost banks, are lined beneath the Deposit Insurance coverage Scheme.

Out of the Rs 8,516.6 crore claims settled by the DICGC, Rs 5,059.2 crore had been in the direction of liquidated and merged banks and Rs 3,457.4 crore pertained to banks beneath All Inclusive Instructions (AID) of the RBI, mentioned the annual report of DICGC.

Below AID, restrictions are imposed on withdrawals of deposit.

The report mentioned that throughout the fiscal ending March-2022, claims value Rs 5,059.18 crore had been paid to just about 10.34 lakh depositors of liquidated and merged banks.

A complete of Rs 3,457.44 crore was paid to about 2.6 lakh depositors of banks beneath AID, it added. All of the claims had been associated to co-operative banks.

“There have been no claims from business banks,” the report mentioned.

DICGC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI, gives insurance coverage cowl on financial institution deposits.

In 2020, the federal government had elevated the insurance coverage cowl on deposits by 5 instances to Rs 5 lakh. The improved deposit insurance coverage cowl of Rs 5 lakh got here into impact from February 4, 2020.

Later, DICGC Act was additional amended beneath which the Company is required to offer insurance coverage cowl of as much as Rs 5 lakh to the depositors of banks positioned beneath AID by the Reserve Financial institution.

DICGC mentioned the variety of totally protected accounts (256.7 crore) at end-March 2022 constituted 97.9 per cent of the overall variety of accounts (262.2 crore) within the banking system as in opposition to the worldwide benchmark of 80 per cent.

The full premium acquired by the DICGC throughout 2021-22 stood at Rs 19,491 crore, with business banks contributing 93.6 per cent and co-operative banks accounting for the remaining 6.4 per cent.

The report mentioned a landmark occasion throughout 2021-22 was the modification to the DICGC Act 1961 which enabled time-bound interim cost to depositors of banks positioned beneath AID by the RBI, a follow usually not noticed in different jurisdictions.

“Pursuant to those amendments, the claims of depositors of twenty-two city co-operative banks positioned beneath AID had been settled by the DICGC…,” the report mentioned.

One other main occasion was the supply of economic help to the Unity Small Finance Financial institution (USFB) for making deposit insurance coverage cost to depositors of the erstwhile Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Financial institution (PMCBL) upon merger.

The variety of insured banks registered with DICGC stood at 2,040 as on March 31, 2022

Because the inception of deposit insurance coverage, a cumulative quantity of Rs 295.9 crore was paid as much as March 31, 2022 in the direction of claims of 27 business banks, Rs 10,524.3 crore in the direction of claims of 374 liquidated co-operative banks (together with Rs 5,059.2 crore settled throughout 2021-22), and Rs 3,457.4 crore in the direction of claims of twenty-two city co-operative banks positioned beneath AID.

The Deposit Insurance coverage Act, 1961 got here into power on January 1, 1962.

Source link